- Government crosses line
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
The developing scandals involving the Internal Revenue Service and the Justice Department have this much in common: They reveal a rather stunning level of hubris within the Obama administration.
Twice in recent months, fe... Full story
- Ron Hart: From Benghazi to IRS, O-bots abound
- Near the 2012 election, and after bragging about killing bin Laden based on intelligence gained by water-boarding (a tactic he campaigned against), Barack Obama and his O-bots lied to us about Benghazi. O-bots are the many disciples in his administra... Full story
- Thomas D. Elias: Constitutional crisis over prisons?
- Rarely since the Civil War have state officials anywhere in America been as close to openly defying federal authority as Gov. Jerry Brown and the Legislature are today.
Brown averted a constitutional crisis in mid-May, when he acceded to the demand ... Full story
- Ron Hart: Commencement reality speech
- In yet another bad decision, an education administrator asked me to give a high school commencement speech. The principal must know I write a column; he obviously hasn't read it.
When I questioned his wisdom, the principal said, "Just give the kids ... Full story
- Thomas D. Elias: Toll roads sound warning for rail
- Gov. Jerry Brown, construction labor unions and some others are determined to proceed with California's nascent bullet train, with the first tracks scheduled to be laid later this year between Madera and the south end of Fresno in the San Joaquin Val... Full story
- David Ignatius: Sandbagged by Guantanamo
- WASHINGTON — For an example of how the US government can work at cross-purposes in dealing with terrorism, take a look at the failed effort to release Afghan prisoners from Guantanamo. It shows how an incorrect analysis — that the Taliban... Full story
- John Kass: Tragedy can’t be neatly packaged
- If you're looking for the big speech about the Boston Marathon bombings and the motivations of the Tsarnaev brothers, wrapping it all up like a nice veal roast in white butcher paper, don't worry.
You won't have to wait long. There's definitely a ma... Full story
- Thomas D. Elias: San Onofre, Hanford help anti-nuke initiative
- The operators of both the San Onofre Nuclear Power Station and the nuclear waste reservation at Hanford, Wash., could not be doing better if they actually wanted to promote a new prospective ballot initiative aimed at keeping San Onofre offline and a... Full story
- Robin Abcarian: Muslims fearing another ‘hysteria’
- We will know soon enough who unleashed Monday's grotesque violence on Boston. But it is fair to say that many Muslims who heard that explosions had marred the end of the Boston Marathon had a simple, poignant thought: Please don't let it be a Muslim.... Full story
- David Ignatius: Kim's dangerous game in N. Korea
- WASHINGTON — One unlikely benefit of the North Korea crisis is that the world may be getting fed up with the country's pugnacious young leader, Kim Jong Un. In his belligerent talk of war, Kim appears to have crossed a line, upsetting tradition... Full story