- Opinion: Thumbs up, thumbs down: December 4, 2013
- Thumbs up
Rotary Club honors law enforcement officers
The Rotary Club of Colusa recently honored law enforcement officers based in Colusa and the surrounding area, as reported in the Nov. 27 edition of the Sun-Herald.
The honorees: Deputy Sheriff ... Full story
- From the superintendent: Give the gift of learning this holiday season
- Dwayne K. Newman
- Remember the Christmas days when we ran to the tree and opened the most promising packages first? Brightly wrapped boxes which gave off the promising rattle of a desired toy always got immediate attention. One never opened the oddly shaped soft packa... Full story
- Letters: November 27, 2013
- Re: Road maintenance
We are supposed to have a 60-foot easement on our country roads. The paved area is approximately 20 feet, 10 foot wide for each passing car. That is the amount you have to use. So if your side of the road is 10-foot wide, you sh... Full story
- Guest View: Rules muddying up the Clean Water Act
- By Ashley Indieri Family Water Alliance
- The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking law," said well... Full story
- Opinion: Thumbs up, thumbs down: November 27, 2013
- Thumbs way up
The Thanksgiving holiday
Every once in a while, we lose sight of what's important in life. This Thanksgiving, we hope you join us in celebrating what really matters in our lives.
State needs to hold up its end of contrac... Full story
- Eddie Lou: Obamacare delay good for business
- The White House delayed for one year a requirement under the Affordable Care Act that small businesses provide health insurance to its employees.
This provision, commonly known as the employer mandate, calls for businesses with 50 or more workers to... Full story
- Our View: 5 reasons to worry about U.S. debt
- To read the news, you'd think America's fiscal problems are under control. After all, following four years of $1 trillion-plus deficits, this year's will be "only" $642 billion. And Congress actually cut spending this year by letting the sequester ha... Full story
- Ron Hart: Marriage should be divorced from government
- With the Supreme Court effectively ruling in favor of gay marriage, options have narrowed for its opponents. We libertarians praise the ruling, as does your nephew who TIVOs "Glee," can never quite throw a spiral, and refers to "Top Gun" as "Oh, that... Full story
- Other View: Public employees should share in pension costs
- San Jose Mercury News
Given the choice between a Volkswagen or a Rolls-Royce for the same price, most of us would take the Rolls.
That's essentially what's going on with pensions for employees of at least 117 Bay Area government agencies. They get ... Full story
- Amy Goodman – DOMA ruling: Two steps forward, one step back
- The U.S. Supreme Court announced three historic 5-4 decisions this week. In the first, a core component of the Voting Rights Act was gutted, enabling Southern states to enact regressive voting laws that will likely disenfranchise the ever-growing num... Full story